- All growth in consciousness is a process of inner realization
- All inner realizations are the result of personal experience meditated upon in some fashion
- All growth in consciousness is a lessening of self-centeredness, a death to the old self- centered way of looking at the world and a simultaneous rebirth into a less self-centered way of seeing the world.
- As personal consciousness goes up the spiritual ladder from level to level, we become less and less attached to (i.e. stuck in or defined by) physical matter (1)
Tzaddi was born out of a spiritual quest which can be described several different ways:
- How are we whole, given our wounds/imperfections and the wounds/imperfections of the world?
- How do we integrate our humanity and our Divinity?
- What is our awareness of the place of intersection of being and becoming, and how do we live from and explore that space?
Another way of describing this particular spiritual quest is that it is a movement toward causal or Christ Consciousness, a particular station along the continuum of consciousness, and beyond that station, movement toward nondual consciousness. (4) This quest is embedded in the tissue of our group energy body, or put another way, is part of our organizational culture. Even when we are not aware of it, these questions operate at a systemic level as well as at an individual level, deeply affecting us.
This is entirely different from being a Christian church, which we are not; we are a metaphysical church. We welcome people of Christian backgrounds, as well as those of Jewish, Muslim, Pagan, Hindu, Buddhist, First Nations and other spiritual backgrounds as part of our spiritual fellowship, joining together in our spiritual quest. We do not preach doctrine that Jesus is our personal savior, although individuals in our church are free to subscribe to that belief; we preach that we each traverse the continuum of consciousness by our own efforts, with the examples of Jesus and other great Masters before us, leading the way.(5) We do not preach that Jesus is the way (as in the only way), but preach that Jesus is a way home to union with the Divine within, the Kingdom of Heaven, which is here right now, within us and all around us.
Because many gifted psychics and spiritual healers come from a background of trauma and are highly sensitive, we focus some of the study and practice hours in our formation training programs and our organizational gatherings on filling in the continuum of consciousness of a healthy, well-developed, personal sense of self. It’s been said that to lose the ego, first, you have to have a healthy ego. Spiritual bypassing, or going “up and out,” can seem exciting and glamorous, especially in the beginning of the spiritual path; also, the forces of denial and wanting to avoid suffering are strong in each of us, for very good survival reasons. But to develop along the continuum of higher vibrational consciousness, one encounters two key spiritual events that often occasion suffering and will inexorably send us back down the vibrational ladder to gather in the parts of ourselves that we have tried to avoid: the Dark Night of the Senses, which is part of the bridge from psychic to subtle consciousness, and the Dark Night of the Soul, which is part of the bridge from subtle consciousness to causal or Christ Consciousness. (6)
Despite the challenges, some people who are drawn to spiritual development return again and again to the spiritual path. Something is calling us from within toward a space of being in greater peace and wholeness. Despite times of what can be intense resistance, eventually we come to understand what we have been experiencing; we freely give our consent and choose to grow and develop in these ways. It is through traversing our own inner paths of shadow and integrating the lost parts of ourselves— which we come to understand are not only personal, but also familial, tribal, national, and even planetary—that we are able to arrive at a space of deeper compassion.
These transitions cannot be willed into being. The danger in describing these things is that sometimes people want to have a sense of rank, of self-importance, and a “diagnosis” of where they fall on the continuum. It’s best to simply put such thoughts aside and get on with the business of traversing our challenges with as much grace and humility and concern for others as we can. Being together in spiritual fellowship with others on the path can really help us to unfold into our next stage of growth.
We invite you to join our inner planes, teleconference, and in-person gatherings, and if you are interested in going into these matters in a deeper way, to participate in our seminary spiritual formation programs.
(1) Jim Marion, Putting on the Mind of Christ: The Inner Work of Christian Spirituality, p. 34.
(2) See The Kybalion: Hermetic Philosophy by Three Inititates.
(3) Jim Marion, Putting on the Mind of Christ: The Inner Work of Christian Spirituality, chapters 9 – 17.
(4) See Levi, The Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ, “the story of Jesus, the man from Galilee, and how he attained the Christ consciousness open to all men. A complete record of the ‘lost’ eighteen years so strangely silent in the New Testament; a period spent travelling and learning from the masters, seers, and wise men in the temples and schools of Tibet, Egypt, India, Persia, and Greece.”
(5) In 1578, Altan Khan, leader of the fiercely militaristic Mongol nation, invited the Third Dalai Lama, Gyalwa Sonam Gyatso, to visit and was converted to Tibetan Buddhism through his teachings. The Third Dalai Lama was a great scholar and teacher, and his most famous work is Essence of Refined Gold, in which he says: One practices in order to ripen one’s own continuum. Glenn H. Mullin trans., Essence of Refined Gold, p.153.
(6) These dark transitions are an integral part of the spiritual path, and have been eloquently described by mystics from many different faith traditions. One of the most famous in western Christian religious tradition is John of the Cross, whose work The Dark Night recounts his intense suffering.